Is therr anything for the uninsured too ?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/21/2007 - 06:33

I've recently got my new car and applied for a coverage. Now I just need to know if theres something called an uninsured motorist policy ??
Aaron Borecky

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 09:27 Post Subject:

You have heard correctly. Uninsured motorist coverage comes handy when you are a victim of a hit and run case, where the party at-fault is untraceable. It covers you both for bodily injury and property damages.

Property damage coverage will pay the repairing cost of the vehicle. It will also pay if your car gets totaled.

Bodily injury will cover your and your family member's medical expenses.

Although auto insurance is mandatory by law in United States many drivers still drive around without or insufficient insurance coveages. If you are unlucky enough to get hit by such a motorist you cannot hold them liable for the damages. Therefore, it is advisable to have uninsured motorist coverage.


Posted: 21 Jun 2007 09:29 Post Subject:

Hi there,

Uninsured motorist coverage covers the financial losses if the party at fault is uninsured. In this case your own insurance will act as the liability coverage for that person and will pay you for the damages. In case of claiming the uninsured motorist coverage, you need to prove before your insurer that the other party was the at-fault party. Otherwise they can turn down your claim. Inform the police immediately if you meet with such an unlucky event.

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 09:40 Post Subject:

It covers your financial losses when the party at-fault does not carry any liability coverage. In such cases you have to file a claim with your insurance company.

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 09:44 Post Subject:

Uninsured motorist coverage pays for the medical expenses if you suffer any bodily injury in an accident with an uninsured motorist.

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 09:45 Post Subject:

It pays for the damages when a covered person is injured in an auto accident caused by a driver who does not have Liability Insurance

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 10:18 Post Subject:

I have uninsured coverage for my car. They are normally not very costly and come with deductibles. It just acts like the liability coverage. It will pay for the rental car when your car is under repair.

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 10:21 Post Subject: stay in touch!

Thanx all!

Juanita, I get it in a way that this coverage protects my bodily injuries as well as the damages done to my I right ??

Stay in touch guys!
Aaron Borecky

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 11:01 Post Subject:

UM/UIM property damage pays for the cost of auto repairs and towards the damages done to your personal belongings once it crosses $250 (deductible) limit. Hope this piece of information would help!

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 06:30 Post Subject:

Good question!

Uninsured motorist comes in two flavors:
1. Uninsured motorist bodily injury, or UMBI. This protects you and those in your car from injuries in case you are hit by an uninsured driver. This coverage is mandatory in most states, and will not usually carry a deductible if a loss occurs.
2. Uninsured motorist property damage, or UMPD. This protects your vehicle again damages caused by uninsured drivers, and normally comes with a deductible which is generally statute-driven. Check with your insurance agent for specifics. This coverage is normally optional, can be rejected in writing in most states, and is typically only for cars that are 10 years old or newer.

Additionally, in certain states these coverages will also protect you for "underinsured" situations: situations whereby the other drive DOES carry insurance, but it's not sufficient to pay for the entire amount of damage or injury they cause.

One error: it will NOT usually pay for a rental car- that coverage is under "rental car" coverage which is available if you carry full coverage on the insured vehicle and an additional premium is paid for the rental car coverage.

Lastly, just because the other driver does not have insurance, that will NOT protect him against being sued. You absolutely have the right to go after an uninsured driver for damages and injuries they cause. Now, on the other hand, if your insurance company has paid for your damages, they now possess the right to litigate against the uninsured driver for what they paid you.

Hope this helps!

InsTeacher 8)

Add new comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.