comprehensive vs non-comprehensive car insurance coverage

Submitted by anilyps on Wed, 05/06/2009 - 15:54

What is difference between comprehensive and non-comprehensive car insurance coverage?

what are the parts not covered under comprehensive car insurance coverage?

Posted: 06 May 2009 04:46 Post Subject:

Most insurance companies have comprehensive and collision coverages. Comprehensive will cover glass, windows, hail damage, theft, fire, windshield any damages that don't occur due to collision to another vehicle.

Posted: 06 May 2009 07:01 Post Subject:

Justong is right! I would add that some policies include hitting "things" as part of collision and not comprehensive... you should ask your company before something happens like if they would cover damages if you slid on the ice and hit the Hwy rail for example... you want to make sure your company would not consider that a collision so it can be paid as part of the comprehensive policy...

Posted: 07 May 2009 06:24 Post Subject:

what are the parts not covered under comprehensive car insurance coverage?

Hi anilyps, comprehensive coverage doesn't exclusively cover the parts of the car but it covers certain events (check the list of events mentioned by Justong).

Please explain what you mean by non-comprehensive coverage. Which state are you from?

Posted: 07 May 2009 06:38 Post Subject:

Further, if you have a lien on the car the lienholder would expect you to manage both collision and comprehensive coverage on the car. Also, collision with deers are covered by the comprehensive part of auto policy and not under collision coverage.

Hope the information helps.

Posted: 07 May 2009 10:26 Post Subject:

Hi anilyps,

What is difference between comprehensive and non-comprehensive car insurance coverage?

I guess by "non-comprehensive car insurance coverage" you're actually pointing to the ones that cover you for thefts and general accidents caused while moving.

But, in comparison the comprehensive car insurance would cover you for bigger hazards e.g. violent hooliganism, floods etc.

It is wise to opt for a comprehensive car insurance since you could never be sure of the unforeseen calamities. Do you stay in an area that rarely experiences such calamities?

Also, would like to inform you that for cars that are more than 10 years old, you may not need a comprehensive coverage. Do you own such an old car?


Posted: 07 May 2009 10:41 Post Subject:

Hey anilyps...

I have the Comprehensive insurance exclusions as follows-

  • It would not cover you for damages or losses that you'd suffer while driving under the influence of alcohol.

  • It would not cover you if you don't possess a valid license.

  • It does not cover any damages caused to the tyres unless your car gets damaged too.

  • It does not cover any wear and tear or mechanical failures.

Do you have any other queries?


Posted: 11 May 2009 10:33 Post Subject:

Comprehensive coverage pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle in the event of non-collision-related disasters, such as theft, fire, vandalism, falling objects, etc. Because you drive an older car that probably has little to no cash value, you might consider dropping comprehensive or collision coverage or both. The auto insurance company will only reimburse you for damages up to the car’s actual cash value, which might not be worth the cost of coverage for older vehicles.

Posted: 07 Jul 2009 05:43 Post Subject:

what about if your sound system cause you r fuse box to catch on fire....

Add new comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.