Does CGL cover a closed business?

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 am   Post subject: Does CGL cover a closed business?  

I'm a building contractor and I have commercial general liability insurance in place. Will it be sufficient to cover my claims once I'd retire?

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.
Dave batista

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:47 am   Post subject:   

See, almost all of the CGL policies would fall into the category of occurrence policies. This gives us a clear view that the CGL policy would only cover for damages or injuries that occur within the policy period. Such policies would automatically get dropped as soon as you'd retire or your business closes down. If you're a contractor, you could face a claim even after the policy period is over.

It's a popular misconception if you'd believe that any injuries caused due to the wall would be covered by the CGL policy since the wall was constructed within the policy period. It would only be covered if the damage has also been caused within the policy period.

You could go for the discontinued operations coverage in case you'd like to stay covered against damages that may occur once your CGL policy ceases to exist.

Senior member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 957

143.28 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:05 am   Post subject:   

This is a pretty good option!

You'd actually get protected against damages that may be caused well after your business closes down.

It's essential to have this type of coverage if you're a building contractor or a manufacturer. Initially this coverage may cost you the same as that of your CGL policy, but thereafter the premium percentage drops with each passing year.

Senior member
Leave a quick message

Rupert W Bradson

Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Posts: 692

131.46 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 pm   Post subject:   

What your talking about would fall under the Products and Completed operations section of the policy. (Some companies exclude this coverage so check your policy) and it would cover you after the policy expires if the damage was done due to your negligence.

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 11

2.57 Dollars($)

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

    Connection Error: Connection refused