Need to know about workers compensation claim.

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 am   Post subject: Need to know about workers compensation claim.  

I have been hit by a crane at the construction site. The doc has advised me complete rest for the next 3 months due to a broken shoulder girdle. I have a family of four to support and don’t know how to bear all the household costs. The savings though I have isn’t enough to pay for rent, school tuition fees and the likes. What I want to know from here is, am I eligible for workers compensation? If at all, how? I am at my wits end because of all this. I am a contract labourer and can’t afford an attorney or hire an expert. Please advice. Thank You.

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 pm   Post subject:   

Assuming you're in the U.S., if you were a contract laborer and not an employee, you don't get a W-2 for your income. You would either get a 1099 form at the end of the year or it's not enough to be reported. I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page about your employment status.

Unfortunately, people who work as contract labor, not as employees, are almost never covered by workers compensation. You may want to contact an experienced personal injury attorney in your area to see if and how they could help you deal with your situation.

Disclaimer - I am not an attorney and nothing in this post is meant to represent the practice of law or any legal advice or opinion

Good luck and take care.

New member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 2

1.25 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm   Post subject:   

In this case, the OP probably DOES NOT fit the definition of an independent contractor in the U.S., but rather that of a a statutory employee. His use of the term "contract labourer" however, indicates that he is probably NOT in the U.S. but probably somewhere in the UK, Canada, Australia/New Zealand,or India.

Until we know what part of the world this person is in, any advice would be premature.


CA-licensed Life & Disability Analyst. CA Insurance Lic #0596197. Also investigating insurance company abuses, and providing litigation support/expert witness services. Send me your questions, and I'll send you my answers.
Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 7888

Location: Pomona CA
107.59 Dollars($)

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

    Connection Error: Connection refused