Do I need to make

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:30 am   Post subject:   

Is there a time limit on making this report?

Depending upon your state's specifications. Which state are you from?

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:31 am   Post subject:   

Do I need to make a police report on my car being hit in a parking lot? Is there a time limit on making this report? I do have name of the person that did this to me, his driver's lic.#, phone #, address,etc.

The answer to all your questions is Yes, Yes, Yes. Reporting an accident to the police should always be the first step, no matter how small it is, in order to experience a hassle free claim process.

Although, it is customary to file the report right after the accident, but depending upon your state's law you may be allowed to file it later as well.
Senior member
Leave a quick message

Rupert W Bradson

Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Posts: 692

131.46 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:45 am   Post subject: What about your damages!  

Hi there,

If you don't register an accident where you were not at-fault, then how are you gonna get the compensation for your damages!

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting it registered with the DMV (especially when you're saying that you have the necessary information with you in hand). On the other hand, if you don't register it now it might just be too late for you. I feel it has to be registered within 48 hours!



Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm   Post subject:   

Good morning Pamela, and welcome to the community....

RE: police reports and DMV reports this is all state and city specific...In my city for instance the police WILL NOT respond to an accident on private property unless there are injuries....Still you need to call your local authority and and minimally file a walk in report (which is all you can do at this point anyway)...

Have you contacted the owner of the vehicle or their insurance company to procure payment for your damages? You need to do that as well asap....If you do not have their insurance information simply call them and ask for it so you can file a claim with their carrier. You should also put your carrier on notice...In case it falls apart, or the other party changes their story and says you caused the accident...(sorry i've seen it happen time and time again! sad but true)...Please also let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.....


"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." Martin Luther King Jr.
Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 8080

Location: Missouri
287.93 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:02 pm   Post subject:   

You should always file a accident report with the police to help back up your claim, If the person who damages your vehicle does not have insurance or the party left before you could obtain information from the owner. It will help with your uninsured motorized claim.


-- Jake

Auto Body and Direct Repair Questions & Answers
New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 39

18.04 Dollars($)

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

    Connection Error: Connection refused