AARP?

Submitted by hummingbird on Wed, 01/16/2008 - 14:49

I keep getting these offers in the mail for this company. They offer different types of insurance. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this company and what is their experience and opinion. I have gotten so many of them I am considering them.

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 04:41 Post Subject:

Never heard of them :(

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 06:29 Post Subject:

The AARP is the American Association of Retired Persons and it runs several insurance schemes specifically designed for the retired persons and their families, though I'm not sure whether you are referring top the same organization or not. I would rather suggest that you delve more before making any decision.

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 06:50 Post Subject:

Hey, you may be receiving those because you are a member of this association. Right, that they had started their journey as a lobby of the American retirees but today old age is no longer qualifying condition for its membership. As far i know they offer......life policies for their members and their spouses , health plans, auto plans and so forth. Wish you luck

Oldfordstreet

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 11:00 Post Subject:

ALWAYS CHECK ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES WITH BOTH YOUR STATES DEPT OF INSURANCE, AND THE AM BEST RATING.

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 04:14 Post Subject:

Yes that is correct .It is the AARP that you enroll as a member and you can get insurance cheaper,car ,health and other.It costs like 12 dollars a year.I pay I think 25 dollars a year to be a member of farm bureau.They have benifits also but are not readily available. You have to ask for a card .I never understood why if a company is going to offer something why don't they mail the card out for everyone in their dues mailings.I thiink they have other services but just isn't advertised enough to know.

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 03:51 Post Subject:

I thought AARP was a well know company surprised everyone has not heard of it. I see commercials about them all the time. I was just wanting to know if anyone had any first hand experince dealing with them.I did see a very appealing commercial for Allstate also. Anyone have that?

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 11:42 Post Subject:

Hummingbird's right- they advertise like crazy.

AARP offers insurance services (among a host of other things) to their members. If I'm right, the insurance programs are offered through the Hartford group of insurance companies.

I don't think I would characterize these programs as "schemes." The Hartford is a pretty well-respected group of companies, and all that AARP is doing is acting as a "legal association" as defined under state insurance laws. They're basically marketing coverage under a group insurance policy issued to them. Remember, the AARP is an association as a legal business entity.

Hartford acts as the insurance company that issues the master contract to the AARP. The AARP then markets the product to it's members. The members get a better deal on the premium as the AARP is considered a group for insurance purposes. AND...due to the volume generated by the huge size of the group, the AARP gets the benefit of that volume in terms of smaller premiums, so that savings can, and is, passed on to the members. Simple. Just like large groups for health insurance, etc.

I agree with Lori:

Check the literature that came with the offer, and if you look long enough, you'll find the name of the carrier that underwrites the plan. Then do what Lori suggested. AM Best is ok, but check with Moody's and Weiss as well.

InsTeacher 8)

Posted: 20 Jan 2008 03:16 Post Subject:

I have been meaning to check on some of their insurances. But to get them I have to join.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 07:46 Post Subject:

I had aarp for two years and dropped it because they never covered anything for me. every where i went they said they dont take aarp. the only way it helps is if you go with who they are with not much choice.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 07:49 Post Subject:

i have allstate insurance and i like them but everyone is differant you have to decide for yourself but ive never had a problem and they are quick to help you if you have a problem.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 09:50 Post Subject:

Did you see all the new things they are adding to their insurance?I see their ads on tv.Sounds very good. Something about a refund or reward of money or cash back for every term you file no claims.I think that what they said.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 11:47 Post Subject:

I see that ad for allstate, six months with no accidents and you get a check in the mail, but it does not say how much. They also advertise that your deductible will go down. I just wonder is they are more expensive when you first start with them if they can afford to be giving all these discounts, it sounds like you end up paying no deductible at all through time as long as you have no accidents, I don't know how this could be possible. I never heard of insurance with no deductible.

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 03:11 Post Subject:

Does sound funny, car insurance that drops the deductible every so often, I guess they figure it will encourage people to drive safer if they have these incentives in place, it may work, but I would like to know just how much those checks are every six months accident free and how much do they drop your deductible six months accident free, do you have any feedback on this dadummy, how long have you been with them, have you recieved any of these perks yet? can you share with us?

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 03:54 Post Subject:

I was under the impression that AARP was a good program, there are some older people that I work with who have it, of course they don't discuss the benefits, but these are some pretty serious thinkers, I don't think they would just be throwing their money away with out investigating it first. I would assume it had something good going for it if they had it.

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 04:59 Post Subject:

My hubby got a qoute from one insurance company and they said they could not give me a better price than what I already have . But I would like to know if AARP can. If allstate has all that they are sure to rack up the customers. It could pay off for them to if they save money on claims.They may be on to something.Instead opf punishing people for useing the insurance why not pay they to not use it?

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 03:09 Post Subject:

It would make sense and it is a good incentive to change to them if they do really give the money back that they say, I always find that there are always loopholes somewhere hummingbird, make sure that you read the fine print.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 09:29 Post Subject:

Yes,Do you ever see these offers on TV and the screen changes so fast that you never get to read whats on the bottom of the screen?That should be illegal,if you are going to put something on the bottom of the screen you should at least be able to read it huh? But thats the way to get you to go to their site.

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 09:30 Post Subject:

Lori is right on the money. Visit these links to start your educational journey.

-J.R.

Links deactivated as per forum rules

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 05:57 Post Subject:

AARP has a great website to with all the information that you will need to make a good decision. Salpro has one of them listed above, go there and check it out.

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 04:02 Post Subject:

Thank you all for the links and great answers .I will go check out the links and get back to you on what I think .

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 07:01 Post Subject:

There's nothing wrong with going with a captive company or association as long as you know all your options. This will require quite a bit of homework or a 30 minute phone call with a knowledgeable agent.

Even though AARP is a marketing organization and has ties with UHC, NYL, Aetna, etc. that doesn't mean their policies are bad or overpriced. The AARP "brand" is stellar and I'll be adding their Medicare products to my portfolio shortly because their good and competitively priced by a top-notch insurance carrier.

Make sure you talk with 2-3 agents total and be honest about what you aim to achieve. Make sure you do talk with an independent and research him or her before making the decision.

Nothing aggravates me more than somebody lying to me simply to get information so they can buy with somebody else. That happened three times last year that I know of and it's very unprofessional and rude. Be prepared to have your application yanked if you do decide to submit multiple applications because most of the time it's a waste of time if you're dealing with somebody who knows their stuff.

One of the great things I LOVE about insurance is that the premiums are not negotiable. That takes about 80% of the stress away right there. with at least one of those being an independent who knows about ALL options.

I personally like to shoot for presenting 2-3 options with most of my clients and emphasize THE ONE I think is the best.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 02:34 Post Subject:

Often, AARP's policies (health for example) are about 20% more expensive than a similar policy you can get from a broker. In fact, in some cases, the policy actually covers less than the standard policy.

I'm assuming this is because the underwriting tends to be more liberal. When that happens, unhealthy people benefit and health people pay more.

And on an unrelated note...I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. And I actually got a letter from AARP telling me I was eligible for coverage. Wow...do I feel old now. Naturally, I refused the offer and told them to write back in 15 years when I'm good and ready!

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 04:45 Post Subject:

Congratulations on reaching the big 50. Are you eligible for discounts now at Bob Evans? I look forward to the senior discounts personally, although I've never been the type to eat dinner before 6.

Posted: 17 Feb 2008 07:19 Post Subject:

well look forward to getting the mailings often. I get one about every week.