who is responsible for water damage to my personal belonging

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:27 pm   Post subject: who is responsible for water damage to my personal belonging  

i live in an apartment and my neighbors water pipes bursted and damaged some of my stuff. i do not have renters insurance. who is responsible for replacing my personal belongings?

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1

1.37 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 pm   Post subject: insurance  

I went through this 'sitaution', at one time. When I was Overseas, my pipes cracked, during the Winter time. I lived in an Apt Complex, then ( same place I live now). The water ran into my neighbors livingroom. This caused ALOT of water damamge to her rug and some other items that were laying on her livingroom floor. Well..........to make a long story short, the Landlord ( The 'Landlord', for this complex, is the Housing Authority) replaced the rug, etc, because this was "no fault of my own' ( an 'Act of God' they said..). So..........my point is, this may be just that, an 'Act of God.' Thsi wasn't done in a malicious way, 'pre-meditated'..any of that.

Senior member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 21 Aug 2007
Posts: 2052

5.14 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:50 am   Post subject:   

Who ever is responsible for the pipe breaking (an act of negligence) would be responsible. If it broke due to some type of wear and tear, it would need to be shown that the owner of the property knew or should have known that it was going to happen.

If the pipe just broke and there was no way for anyone to know it was going to happen, you will probably end up addressing your own loss.

Get renters insurance... it's cheap and also provides you a whole lot of liability coverage!

Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 6175

Location: Salt Lake City, UT
375.37 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 am   Post subject:   

You may also have to communicate the matter with the landlord of the property. If the pipe belongs to the jointly owned property the landowner's policy may too attend to the issue. Damages caused by the frozen pipes are covered under the renter's policy, but since you don't have one, you may end-up paying for your own damages.

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 am   Post subject:   

You are carda-mom that the renter's policy would have covered OPs damages.

K. Dogg you can read more about the water damages and renters policy in the following thread,


Senior member
Leave a quick message

Jeremy Holter

Joined: 06 Jun 2007
Posts: 1185

210.40 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:22 am   Post subject:   

well, this issue largely depends on how the pipe burst. if the pipe was damaged due to prolonged usage (wear and tear), your neighbour might have to be responsible for the damage caused. however, if the pipe burst for no good reason (unexpected), then i dont think your neighbour is liable.

i would advise you to get a renter's policy to protect you against such incidents in the future.

Leave a quick message

Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 75

11.14 Dollars($)

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

AmPmInsure on Facebook

Page loaded in 0.298 seconds.