What are the steps to become insurance agent .
1. To be an insurance agent need an excellent salesperson knowledge with an outgoing personality.
post moved to the right forum, thanks
Total Comments: 9
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 01:20 pm Post Subject:
Need Bachelor Degree in Business or economics.
Insurance companies prefers to hire those who have academic background
Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 03:27 am Post Subject:
Insurance agent helps us to estimate the value of our life. Ideally you should follow the following steps to become insurance agent -
1. Must be soft spoken and friendly.
2. Have the quality to win people confidence easily.
3. Have excellent analytical skill.
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 02:18 am Post Subject:
Actually reading the above you do not need a bachelors degree (although it helps).
You need to take a 24 hour class (in the state of PA anyway) and I am sure other states have different requirements.
After the class the person has to take the life insurance exam at the state in which they live. Once they pass the test they need to find a company that will back them. After that the person can send in an application to the insruance comminissioner for approval and if approved they will issue you a licence.
Many states will also require finger prints etc. and if you have any thing on your record you will have to provide documentation to show what happened and that it has been cleared up.
After you do all this you are ready to begin. The best bet would be to have hopefully signed on with a company that offers a good training program with some mentors, ask alot of questions, come here to the forums and ask questions, learn as much as you can and dont stop!
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 09:32 pm Post Subject: steps to become insurance agent
I've been an agent since 1985 and have met a several of hundred insurance agents along the way. I've found that although the good ones are smart and have are comfortable talking with strangers, their personalities run the gamut.
The outgoing super-friendly agent has a place in this business, but so does the thoughtful quiet man and woman. So long as one is comfortable talking with people, and can get his or her point across, one can be successful. In fact, more sales are made by listening better than by talking better in my opinion.
I believe in selling products that pay significant renewals. Most new agents have cash flow problems, so you may want to sell products that pay higher first year commissions and therefore lower renewals. If that is the case for you, buy your groceries today with the FYC from those products, but make sure that you also sell some products that will pay your mortgage tomorrow.
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 03:21 pm Post Subject:
This is an interesting question, Here are some steps to become insurance agent .
1. Obviously you want sales experience,
2. Good work ethic. Remember, you are the owner of your own company now. Would you hire ten people if they worked the way you did last week?
3. Its good to have knowledge in the insurance feild before signing up.
4. Business Classes are a great asset to have when trying to get into this business. They will teach you how to conduct your practice professionaly.
5. Be good at making first impressions. Just as buyers buy on emotion, logic, and impulse, your employer hires you the same way.
6. You will never be an insurance agent if you dont have a license. You must obtain an insurance license for every state you plan to work in. Yes, this means spending weeks studying for a very hard test that is rather expensive to take.
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 07:39 am Post Subject: how do you find sponsoring company to back you ?
Could someone please help me with my questions to become independent insurance agent, I am currently studying to take the exam :
(1) do I need a sponsoring company in order to obtain license (CA) ?
(2) how do I find a sponsoring company to back me (I have no previous experience) ?
(3) if I am going to sell auto insurance only, how do I open my own agency right away or do I need working experience first ?
hope to hear from you soon, thank you for replying.
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 02:32 pm Post Subject: FOR JUN
You posted this question in a different thread. I responded in that area for you.
*System Edited : Link moved to Signature as per TOS
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm Post Subject: becoming an agent
Hello. I am a single mother of three college age children. I am interested in becoming a licensed insurance agent. Can you tell me what I need to do in order to become an agent. How much does it cost to become an agent? And how long does it take to become and agent?
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 04:37 pm Post Subject:
A sincere want to help people make the best decision for them and not your bottom line. Be a great listener and you should also know the most competitive plans inside and out.