Beneficiary change

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 pm   Post subject: Beneficiary change  

My mother recently passed away and had a annuity. while going thru her papers i found out that my brother had the beneficiary changed from the estate to him but did so while i was power of attorney. Can i stop the insurance co from paying the claim.

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:22 am   Post subject:   

What your brother did was fraud and is a criminal offense. Did you know at the time he executed the thing? Why didn't you report the fraud then? Anyway, report it to the police now if it's not too late and then talk to the insurance representative. Do this before the claim is cleared.


Owning a home is a keystone of wealth - both financial affluence and emotional security. ~ Suze Orman
Senior member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 270

Location: Sacramento, CA
61.24 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 pm   Post subject:   

You're already late, but without delaying any further go ahead and file a complaint.

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 48

3.88 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm   Post subject:   

What your brother did was fraud and is a criminal offense
While fraud certainly is a criminal offense, MangoQuirious convicts without a trial, and, more importantly, without any evidence.

i found out that my brother had the beneficiary changed
Whether you had power of attorney or not doesn't matter, the only person who can change a beneficiary is the policyowner. How do you know your brother made the change?

This is not necessarily a matter for the police, as a previous commenter wrote. If the claim has already been paid, then it is a matter for the civil court. You would have to sue the party that was wrongfully paid the claim.

If the claim has not yet been paid, you can dispute the claim with the insurance company. If the competing claims both seem to have merit, the insurance company will likely file an "interpleader" action in the most appropriate venue and pay the money to the court.

Then all parties appear before the judge, offer their arguments and evidence, and the judge makes a ruling.


CA-licensed Life & Disability Analyst. CA Insurance Lic #0596197. Also investigating insurance company abuses, and providing litigation support/expert witness services. Send me your questions, and I'll send you my answers.
Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 7888

Location: Pomona CA
107.69 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm   Post subject:   

Thanks to all who have replied.....Claim has not yet been paid, just received letter from insurance company stating that the only way to stop the payout is with a court order and i have 30 Days to get one.

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

AmPmInsure on Facebook

Page loaded in 0.336 seconds.