House insurance for stay at home mum

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 am   Post subject: House insurance for stay at home mum  

Looking to renew my house insurance and I seem to keep coming up against issues with the 'occupancy' question.

I am generally at home during the day - I work from home and have a DD about to start school. The house is however not NEVER unoccupied (school run, shopping etc) and also the odd trip away (under the 30 days or whatever it is - usually only a night or two at grandmas!)

If I say never unoccupied does this mean someone has to be there 24/7 - if not then what do I select? Daytime unoccupied seems to double my premium and I am there most of the time unlike someone working 9-5 in an office for example!

Any thoughts?

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:09 am   Post subject:   

Typically, in terms of Homeowners Insurance, 'unoccupied' means VACANT (empty and not inhabited on a regular basis). No policy can prohibit you from spending a night or two away from home while it is unattended. If you plan to be home during the day on a regular basis (most of the time), then I would say so. If you still have doubts, ask your agent or insurer to be certain, but make it clear that you will be there the vast majority of the time!

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 08 Jan 2011
Posts: 14

Location: Canton, GA
2.98 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:29 pm   Post subject:   

the 'occupancy' question
Occupancy and vacancy are two different things. In most homeowner's insurance contracts, the issue of occupancy has to do with the use of the property. If, for example, you were running a child daycare business in your home, the policy's "occupancy" provision would probably NOT COVER any claims for injuries or other damages, because you were not using the property exclusively as your residence.

You seem to be asking about "vacancy" instead. For your property to be excluded from Vandalism and Malicious Mischief (VMM) claims, as well as "freezing of pipes" damage claims, your property must remain unoccupied for a minimum of 60 days (possibly longer, depending on the terms of your contract).

Being away from home for an hour or two, a week or two, even as long as a month or two, will not affect your coverage.

How will you know for sure what your coverage is? READ THE CONTRACT!!


CA-licensed Life & Disability Analyst. CA Insurance Lic #0596197. Also investigating insurance company abuses, and providing litigation support/expert witness services. Send me your questions, and I'll send you my answers.
Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 7888

Location: Pomona CA
107.61 Dollars($)

Quick Reply
Your Name
Message body
All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get a Quote
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

    Connection Error: Connection refused