My car is being totaled out I want to keep it not to salvage

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:35 pm   Post subject: My car is being totaled out I want to keep it not to salvage  

My car is being totaled out I want to keep it not to salvage it meaning I have no intentions putting it back on the road how do I go about keeping it ??

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1

1.31 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:27 pm   Post subject:   

Tell the insurance company that you want to keep the vehicle. They will probably reduce their offer by the vehicle's salvage value. They might also notify the state that the vehicle is a total loss. But if you just want it for parts that should not affect you.

Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 6175

Location: Salt Lake City, UT
375.37 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:32 am   Post subject:   

Yes, many times we do come across people who'd like to keep a totaled vehicle for the body parts. But, I must say that it's in your interest that you get those parts inspected before you're gonna put them back to use.

Senior member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 1546

215.92 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm   Post subject:   

I guess it's quite important that the state is informed about any total loss. It's always gonnabe risky if someone tries to repair a totaled vehicle.

Leave a quick message


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 737

Location: Idaho
137.60 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm   Post subject:   

In some states you may be required to transfer your salvage title into a junk title before you can sell any parts from it legally. You would then be required to place the vin number on the bill of sale. The purpose of this is for tracking of stolen parts and resale tax collection. when a party attempts to transfer a salvage title to a new title listed, they will be required to provide a list of parts to the highway patrol inspector with a proper bill of sale containing the vin # of the junked parts, or they will not be able to obtain a good new title which may state on its face "prior salvage title". This is with reference to collision body parts or major components.


If you can't find the time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it over.
Senior member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 605

Location: in the missouri ozarks
193.97 Dollars($)

All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get free auto insurance quote
State Auto Insurance Laws in USA

USA Auto Insurance laws
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

AmPmInsure on Facebook

Page loaded in 0.213 seconds.