Confused and not sure what to do Please Help

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:39 am   Post subject: Confused and not sure what to do Please Help  

I was in an auto accident on Nov 19, 2010. I have insurance for myself and my vehicle, but on that day I was driving another person's vehicle due to mine was in the shop. I had a person pull out in front of me in which I had no chance to stop and was in an accident. I was not given a ticket at the scene of the accident and the police didn't blame me for the accident. I gave the police the insurance cards that were in the vehicle showing the insurance on the vehicle. One week later the police showed up at my door saying the vehicle I was driving was not insured. Now I paid $700.00 to a lawyer went to court and was told to say guilty for the vehicle not having insurance even though it was not my vehicle. Being told I would only get 4 points on my licence. The state now wants to take my license away for 1 year, even though I have insurance on my own vehicle. This is in the state of Missouri. Plus give me the points, and I must provide proof of insurance until 2015. How is this possible when it was not my vehicle I was driving and I didn't know the one I was driving didn't have insurance at the time. Could you please give me some advice on what to do, I feel that I now paid out so much money for a lawyer for nothing. Plus I pay my insurance each month so don't understand why my licence it being taken for 1 yr plus pay a fine to get it back of 150.00

New member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 3

1.69 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:14 pm   Post subject:   

First, as the operator, you are responsible for making sure that you are driving with insurance... period. That is the law. If people could ignore the law by simply saying, "I did not know" then most laws would be worthless. Your "friend" screwed you.

If you have your own insurance then you needed to have reported the accident to them in 11/10. Did you do this? Why now? The "attorney" that you used... did he/she recommend that you report the loss to your carrier? Did he/she tell you to report the claim and tell the court if your carrier would provide coverage? If not, perhaps you have a case against this "attorney" for not being competent.

If you have not, report this claim to your own carrier to see if they will provide you liability coverage (chance are good that they at least would have... and still may).

Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 6175

Location: Salt Lake City, UT
375.37 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 pm   Post subject:   

If your vehicle was not operable and in a shop for repairs, it is possible that your insurance covers you driving another under the substitute language of the policy. Just as when you drive a rental your coverage substitutes as the primary policy on the vehicle you are driving. Consult your agent or broker.


If you can't find the time to do it right, how will you ever find the time to do it over.
Senior member
Leave a quick message

Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 605

Location: in the missouri ozarks
193.97 Dollars($)

All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get free auto insurance quote
State Auto Insurance Laws in USA

USA Auto Insurance laws
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

AmPmInsure on Facebook

Page loaded in 0.218 seconds.