Basic auto insurance required for 3 months..

Message Author
delicious-small Add to delicious
yahoomyweb-small Add to YahooMyWeb
blinklist-small Add to BlinkList
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 am   Post subject: Basic auto insurance required for 3 months..  

Hi, I’ve been in Mexico for the last 2 years. My car is still registered in the US but the insurance has lapsed. I’m returning in few weeks to stay in Illinois for about 3 months. My previous insurance provider has informed me that they would only issue a six months’ policy at a higher rate, which I don’t need. Any suggestions for a probable solution? I just need a basic auto insurance for 3 months. I’ve had a fair driving record with 0 accidents or speeding records. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Smile

Register Now to have your Insurance queries solved.
Andrew Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am   Post subject:   

Many Mexican insurance providers could issue “travelers insurance” for you. You might check with them. Tally who is offering you less. A local insurance agent might tell you more.

Senior member
Leave a quick message


Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 270

Location: Sacramento, CA
61.25 Dollars($)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am   Post subject:   

I just need a basic auto insurance for 3 months.
Not possible in any US state. Insurance companies write auto insurance for 6 months or 12 months durations. You can always cancel after 3 months, but you will not receive a full refund of the unearned premium. You will receive a "short rate" refund -- usually minus $50 to $100 as a cancellation penalty, but the insurance company could just as easily state in the contract that a cancellation fee = the entire unearned premium, and by accepting the policy, you agree to that.

Your Mexican-issued auto insurance may or may not provide sufficient coverage under US states' laws. But unlike Mexico, it is not a criminal offense to drive while un-/under-insured in the US.

A US-issued insurance policy could very well be more costly because you have not had continuous coverage in the US in the past three years. That's just the way it is.

suggestions for a probable solution?

You could rent a car in the US and pay the daily rate for Liability and Loss/Damage Waiver coverage. Of course that would probably be 2-5 times as expensive as a US-issued policy for 6 months. Or you could do like millions of American drivers do every day . . . drive without insurance and hope that everything goes well.


CA-licensed Life & Disability Analyst. CA Insurance Lic #0596197. Also investigating insurance company abuses, and providing litigation support/expert witness services. Send me your questions, and I'll send you my answers.
Forum Expert
Leave a quick message

Forum Expert

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 7888

Location: Pomona CA
107.71 Dollars($)

All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Get free auto insurance quote
State Auto Insurance Laws in USA

USA Auto Insurance laws
Ask Community Experts

flash plugin

Quick Links

Must See


Hot topics in forums

Latest in blogs

AmPmInsure on Facebook

Page loaded in 0.340 seconds.