How to get estimate of totaled car?

by rgclark » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am

I have a 1991 Honda Accord SE 4-Cyl. 2.2 Liter with Air Conditioning, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Single Compact Disc, Leather, Power Steering, Powered Moon Roof, Power Windows, Tilt Wheel, Power Door Locks, Cruise Control, Alloy Wheels, front tires are only a year old (paid $200 just a year ago yesterday), with 213k miles on it. It has the normal Honda rust on back of wheel wells and a few dents from hail. The car was damaged across the whole right side in a side swipe accident. The other driver was at fault, and their insurance company is totaling out my vehicle. I'd still have reasons to wonder, is my car totaled !! I took the car to their body shop for an estimate and it was determined the cost to repair on my car will be more than it's worth. The car is still drivable. I took it and had it checked out and the drive train is fine, the front rim is scratched up but OK and the front fender is dented, and all along the right side it is scraped up. I have been offered around $1700 if I want to keep the car or $2000 if they take it. Is this a good settlement? The car drives fine but will need an alignment. I can live with the dented front fender and buffed up paint along the side.

Any opinions on value would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Total Comments: 5

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 pm Post Subject:

Hi rgclark, Welcome to ampminsure. I've searched for some earlier topics bearing some similarity with your situation. Check the following Urls. You might find some of the answers of your help.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.


Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 03:48 pm Post Subject:

For me that is an easy call... keep the vehicle and take the $1700. Really that means for $300 you get to keep the car and still use it. Through in a $50 alignment and I'll ask this question... is the car worth $350 to you if you could drive it as you were before the accident?

I'm betting you don't care too much how the car looks on the outside and that it's mostly a means of transportation. Could you find a better transportation vehicle for $350?

Here is my recommendation... take the $1700. Spend $50 to get the car aligned. Take $50 and take someone out for a nice dinner (or buy yourself something nice)... your compensation for having to drive a damaged car. Put the other $1600 in the bank. Each month add a few bucks to the $1600. When you have enough money, buy a better car. It's a little tough, saving the money and not spending it all, but it's financially sound.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 04:40 am Post Subject:

Take $50 and take someone out for a nice dinner (or buy yourself something nice)

Nice idea Tcope. :D

For me that is an easy call... keep the vehicle and take the $1700.

I too agree.


Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:24 pm Post Subject: copy of estimate on totaled car

purchased a car on ebay- need a copy of estimate that totaled the car. thank you

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:58 am Post Subject:

Contact the prior owner..that's going to be about the ONLY way you'll get this information.

Add your comment

Enter the characters shown in the image.