Does homeowners insurance cover water damage due to leak?

by Insurance Maze » Mon Nov 05, 2007 01:31 pm

Water leakage is a problem and one that is not covered under homeowners insurance. So, the best thing one can do is to be cautious and keep a regular check. Homeowners insurance would typically refuse any claim related to water leakage over a period of time. It would be categorized under negligence. However, under certain special circumstances, your insurer may provide coverage against damage from a water leak.

Does homeowners insurance cover water damage?

Yes, it does but very specific types. Homeowners insurance would not cover damages from flood. Flood insurance is a separate policy that you need to purchase. It would also not cover damage caused by a leaking pipe in your home, but would cover damage from rain getting inside the house through a hole in the roof or a broken window if the hole or the broken window was a result of a storm or extreme weather conditions. If the water damage was due to your negligence, home insurance would not cover it. If you do not know what kind of water damage is covered by your insurance company, go through your policy papers for details.

If there are damages from a storm in your house make sure you dry all the wet areas after the storm has passed away. Provide air circulation to the wet areas cover them with tar if possible to prevent further damage. This will help minimize the possibility of mould growing in your home.

What duty do you have as a homeowner?

It is your duty to keep a check on all fixtures in your home. See to it that they are all maintained well. If there has been any water damage make sure you remedy it as soon as possible. Even a small leakage can lead to mould that would further damage your property. It also causes health hazards like asthma, sinusitis and bronchitis.

Mould damage may be covered but only if it was caused by a leak that grew due to a storm. If your house has built up mould, make sure you get it cleaned professionally. Amateurs may cause it to spread the spores more.

Insurance companies investigate before they can give the policyholders their money for the loss. Adjusters inspect the areas where the damage occurred and they do find out if the leakage had been for over a period of time or if it had been a sudden outburst. So, it is no use lying to the insurance company. Being honest is the only option open to you.

I have a rather unusual situation with a client and a well-known preferred home insurance carrier. What do you think?

One day the insured came home and for whatever reason he leaned against the bathroom wall and it suddenly collapsed.

The sheetrock was soaked and so was the insulation inside the wall and mold and mildew was everywhere. There was a small pin-hole leak in a water pipe that obviously had been leaking for quite some time.

The insured called the insurance company to report the incident, a claim was filed and an adjustor came to look at the damage.

The claim was denied by the insurance company because the standard HO-3 homeowners' policy specifically "Excludes" a loss as the result of a water leak over an extended period of time.

If this had been a sudden erruption of a water line, a leaking dishwasher, or a leaking fill line to the ice-maker, it would have been covered. Because this leak had been "over an extended period of time" it was not covered.

So, are we to lean against all of our walls everyday just to see if we might have a water leak?

Total Comments: 160

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 am Post Subject: New window seepage and leaks

I had new windows installed after 20+ years in my home. I never had water leakage problems until windows replaced. The 1st issue happened 4 months after the newly insstalled windows. Repair/re-caulking wwas done with the assurance I'll never have the problem again & I was told to paint over the water damaged areas. 4 months later the same issue occurred. I received an appointment for 3 wks after the damage. I noticed mold in 2 windows. Please advise.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:06 pm Post Subject:

If your windows were installed by a licensed contractor, the contractor's licensing authority in your state will assist you to get this resolved. This could result in a claim against the contractor's surety bond.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:52 pm Post Subject: Whirlpool tub leak

We filled our whirlpool tub with water and held it for 48 hours in case we lost power during Hurricance Irene. Now we notice there is a water mark in the kitchen ceiling below the tub. We assume the tub must have a leak somewhere! The problem is the tub is a corner unit and the builder tiled it in without leaving any access to check the connections. (One side is a built in shower, the other is the vanity and in front it is tiled in). Is this kind of water damage covered under a HO-3 policy?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:05 am Post Subject:

It would most probably not be covered under your home insurance policy.
However, you can go through your policy to find out if it’s at all possible to get coverage for such leakage damage.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 04:11 pm Post Subject:

Depending on your state's contractor law, the original contractor may be responsible for his workmanship for up to 10 years. Check with your state's contractor licensing authority for information on the statute of limitations in your state.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 02:53 pm Post Subject: leak in hidden wall space

discovered small leak in fixed wall space behind kitchen sink. after time it mushroomed the cabinets that are now obsolete.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 09:40 pm Post Subject:

And did you have a question?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 06:49 pm Post Subject: Homeowner Claim Denials? Not Paid Enough

For all of members out there who have been denied by Citizens or other Florida Insurers or simply feel that the amount of money offered was insufficient to get the repairs done (which it probably is), make sure you give me a call or send me an email.

I am a licensed Attorney, Mediatior and Public Adjuster in Florida.

I can help you with your claims and make sure that there is a true advocate on your side.

You can check us out online at:

stellaradjusting .com or handlemyclaim .com

You can always call me at (305) 467-5645

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 am Post Subject:

"I am a licensed Attorney, Mediatior and Public Adjuster in Florida"

Got most of the conflicts of interest covered.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 04:06 pm Post Subject:

When the leak is intermittent or the owner of the unit incurring the damage fails to timely report it, the source of the leak can be very difficult to determine without the help of an experienced plumber or leak detection service. In such a case, the owner of the above unit might deny liability and demand an inspection by the association to determine whether the leak emanates from a common element, despite knowledge of water leaking from their unit. If it appears that there is a good faith basis for the above unit owner to claim that the leak is coming from a common element, the association should undertake some investigation to ensure that the leak is not in any way related to a common element.
When you notice that a pipe leaking continuously so first think is it is very important to immediately shut off the water supply to stop the leak immediately and keep it from damaging other think in your home. After the finding the leaking source you should inform the expert who is expert in this field so he can help you to stop the water damaged and leaking.
so i think if you notice on leak of water so there is no need for insurance, but anyway you should be insuranced so you can easily covered your loss.

[Link removed as per TOU]

Add your comment

Enter the characters shown in the image.