The rising cost of treatment is a matter of worry for a lot of us. If we have health insurance, it helps us plan ahead and also save for future treatment costs. We do not have to worry about bearing the expenses out of our pockets. Your need for insurance may be different from the needs of others. Hence, there are different health insurance plans to suit different needs.
Health Insurance PlansHealth insurance plans are primarily of 2 types -
- Indemnity Plans (fee-for-service)
According to this plan, the insurance holder can choose the doctor he wants to be examined by. The doctor/medical professional receives a fee-for-service. This claim is made either by the doctor or the patient himself. Indemnity health insurance has several other types.
- Indemnity health plans: As a policy holder you may go to any doctor, hospital or any other medical provider for a fixed monthly premium. You may choose the health care provider you want and the plan will reimburse you or your doctor for the service rendered. There may be a certain portion of deductible that you need to pay or simply bear a portion of the fee. Certain expensive services or hospital care or any covered services may require you to have prior authorization for them in order to be covered. To know if indemnity plans are better than HMOs or PPOs click here.
- Flexible spending plans: This is also known as cafeteria plan and is sponsored by the employer allowing the employees to design their own package. There are several benefits for this plan like pre-tax conversion plan, multiple option pre-tax conversion plan, flexible spending accounts, medical plan and employer credit cafeteria plans.
- Basic health plan: This is a low cost health insurance plan that provides limited benefits. These plans do not cover certain basic treatments and it is advisable that you should go through the policy document before purchasing. Premiums for such affordable health insurance plans are community rated and are based on gender, age, occupation, geographic location or health status.
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA): This plan is designed to help you pay for your present health treatment costs and also save for future costs on a tax-free basis. You do not have to pay a premium here. Instead this tax-free account covers your out-of-pocket medical expenditure. What types of investment you should make, which third party or insurer you should rely on is completely your own decision. Generally, HSA requires you to buy a High Deductible Health Plan too.
- High deductible health plan (HDHP): This inexpensive health plan is active only after a high deductible of a minimum $1000 is paid for an individual or $2000 is paid for a family.
- Managed Care Plan
Managed care helps minimize unnecessary costs for healthcare. The policy holders receive extensive medical coverage while also giving financial incentives to the policy holders who opt for the medical providers listed in the policy. There are several types of managed care:
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO): There is an already existing network of participating physicians, hospitals as well as other health care professionals and facilities that you can choose from. The doctor you choose from the given list will then provide you with the required health treatment. If you need to go to a specialist your primary care doctor will refer. Generally there is a fee or a co-payment that you need to pay in HMP plan. Your out-of-pocket are fewer here.
- Point-of-service (POS): In this plan the primary care doctors usually have the freedom to refer other medical providers listed in the plan. If the referral is not from amongst the listed doctors, it will still be covered but then you need to pay a certain co-insurance. If the doctor is listed in the plan, then the plan provides coverage for the same.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) : In this plan the listed doctors, hospitals and health care providers are paid by the insuring company. Often these payments are discounted and hence the costs will be lower if you choose a doctor from the network of doctors provided by the insurer. However, you may still go for a doctor outside the network but you will have to pay the difference between the medical provider's fees and what the plan pays.
Other health insurance optionsTwo of your other health insurance options may include:
- Self-insured health plans
A self-insured health plan or self-funded plan is one where the employer assumes responsibility (with pre-conditions) to provide health care benefits for its employees. This plan is designed such that the employers pay for the out-of-pocket claim as and when they occur instead of depositing a fixed premium to an insurance providing company. Such a self insured plan is subject to all Federal laws and Budget Reconciliation Act.
Medicare is a federal government program designed to insure senior citizens. You can avail the benefits provided by Medicare to secure your future.
How insurance companies determine your coverage & rates?When you apply for a health insurance, your application has to undergo the insurance underwriting process. The underwriters evaluate how much of a risk you pose for the insurance company and accordingly approve or reject your application. Your rates and coverage limits are also determined if the application is approved. The following factors influence the health insurance rates of an individual:
- Age and gender of the person to be insured.
- Pre-existing conditions after a thorough check-up of the individual's medical history.
- Medical history of the family (whether or not the parents had heart disease, cancer etc.)
- Smoking habits of the individual.
- Previous records of mental health (whether the person had undergone counseling or used anti-depressants).
- Choice of deductible, coverage and benefit limits, exclusions etc.
- Past records of health insurance applications.
Tips to buy affordable health insuranceThe premiums for medical insurance seem to be increasing every year. This leaves us with the question that how we can find affordable health insurance coverage that suits our pocket. It may seem very difficult but with a little research you can still look for a suitable health insurance plan. You may follow the 6 easy tips to choose a health policy which not only suits your needs, but also matches your pocket.
- Know your state rules: Be familiar with the rules that your state follows. This way you can make rational and mature decisions about your health insurance. Pay special attention to rules about pre-existing conditions (if any) and also about what coverage you will get.
- Find out your insurance needs: Knowing what type of health insurance coverage you need is important. You may need short term health insurance policy or a regular one depending on the status of your job and your family planning. Getting a cheap health insurance policy may not be the solution to all your problems. You will have to keep in mind the requirement that you have.
- Calculate the overall costs: Prepare a budget for yourself. Buying health insurance doesn't just mean paying premiums. There are co-payments, deductibles and also sometimes co-insurance. Keep all of these in mind when planning for your insurance.
- Compare your options: To be able to find an affordable health insurance you must have an idea of all what is available in the market. After you have shopped enough get hold of a broker who can help you in comparing the policies. A comparison between few different companies and their products will help you settle better with a policy.
- Do your insurance homework: You need to be acquainted with the jargons of the industry if you must find yourself a policy that suits you best. Do your homework; get your research done properly to be able to buy a suitable policy.
- Never conceal information: While doing the paper works you may have to answer a lot of questions. Don't be tempted to lie or hide facts. This will only create problems in the future for you, and raise your costs for health insurance.
Individual Health Insurance vs. Employer Sponsored InsuranceMost of you may have employer sponsored health insurance. But the number of people opting for individual health insurance is also increasing. This increase is due to the advantage that individual policies have over employer sponsored programs. They are:
- Tailor-made coverage: Everyone has different health needs and individual health insurance recognizes it and provides policies to suit individual needs. Since the employer sponsored program is 'one-size-fits-all type, you may end up paying for coverage you don't need or not get a particular coverage that you may need.
- Mobility of coverage: Unlike the employer sponsored insurance, you can still carry individual health insurance with you even if you are changing jobs.
You must plan ahead to secure your future. With health insurance you can certainly prepare to face an undesirable situation arising from a medical condition.
- Long term care insurance factors
- Disability Insurance to help minimize your financial loss
- How to choose a health insurance plan?
Total Comments: 105
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 02:00 pm Post Subject: Gave information about Health insurance policy
Please gave more and more information about affordable family health insurance and
affordable student health insurance policy
what is affordable family health insurance?
it's benefit etc... :)
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 05:20 pm Post Subject:
Your best resource for accurate and specific information about health insurance is a local agent in the community in which you reside. There are too many regional differences to discuss here.
What is "affordable" to one person may be "unaffordable" to another. What coverage meets one person's needs does not meet someone else's.
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 06:56 am Post Subject: health insurance co
hi I am looking for list of prominent health insurance companies in south india?
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 07:18 am Post Subject:
I don't think this forum provides info on Indian health plans or companies. I'm sure you can get an insurance agent to help you on this.
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 02:07 pm Post Subject:
The damage and loss is devastating in order to provide the most comprehensive support for your claim we take swift action on your behalf .
Link removed as per TOU
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 08:27 am Post Subject: Online services for policy holder
Need smart claim for wellness checkup.
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm Post Subject: best
i like how you displayed the real facts here i still think regular individual health insurance is the best way to go
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 03:45 pm Post Subject: cancelation health insurance
dear sir i want cancel my insurance policy. so you are requested please cancel my insurance policy which is not issue so far.
satensra pal singh
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm Post Subject:
We are not your insurance company. Nothing you have requested will happen here.
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:53 pm Post Subject: MedSupRates Selling Medicare Supplement Insurance
MedSupRates provide best Medicare Supplement Plans for both healthy people and the people with existing health problems. We will help you choose the lowest rates from more than 26 different insurers.
MedSupRates take care of you by providing you a licensed insurance agent to help you out with the best Medicare Supplemental Plan that suits your budget. We help a Medicare recipient to come in contact with an expert agent so that no compromise is made with what each one deserves and you get what you are looking for.